Thursday, December 8, 2016

Augmented Reality Snowboarding!





While I was strolling through my Facebook newsfeed today, a random video got my attention. Well, I guess it wasn't so random because it was about snowboard goggles and I love snowboarding. but, that's beside the point. The video had been shared by one of my fellow ski bum friends, and was about a revolutionary software development that had been made by RideOn for snowboard goggles.

This revolutionary software incorporated the software of augmented reality. Augmented reality is defined as, "Augmented reality is the integration of digital information with the user's environment in real time. Unlike virtual reality, which creates a totally artificial environment, augmented reality uses the existing environment and overlays new information on top of it," Margaret Rouse, Whatis.com (follow her on Twitter). So, basically this new product looks exactly like your "typical" snowboard goggles, but it holds the technology to see additional factors that may affect you while skiing/snowboarding that would not be visible otherwise. For example, it allows one to look at a cliff or jump and see the correct speed they must have to hit the calculated trajectory path. This then eliminates any potential hazards that may have not been seen by the human eye.
Now, I personally think these goggles sound crazy cool, but I can also see why there has been backlash against them. In my opinion, the RideOn Vision Goggles are bringing a whole new element to the skiing/snowboarding experience. On the other hand, they are a step in the direction of making a, for the most part, tech-free experience revolves around technology. By taking this step RideOn is also eliminating the reason why so many skiers/snowboarders love the sport: the thrill. This fact indicates that in order for these goggles to be a success, RideOn must find a way to adapt to this niche market. RideOn may do this through sponsorships, effective pricing, or unreal promotions. But, I guess for now we will have to wait and see.
For more information about these revolutionary goggles visit RideOn's website.



No comments:

Post a Comment