Friday, October 21, 2016

We are Marketed to CHANGE

Lets explore the topic that most fear, some thrive upon, and others look forward to. It's utterly impossible to avoid over time and even if you can manage too, it still is occurring to everyone around you. 

What I'm talking about is: CHANGE

Now, I know you all know what change is and how it impacts you as well as those around you, but have you ever wondered what it's source may be? Well I think I may have stumbled upon an interesting viewpoint pertaining to this question and it has everything to do with the way marketers adapt new products to fit cohesively into our everyday lives.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/j829pPfNCfI/maxresdefault.jpg
They do it so well thought out and disguised that no one ever thinks to question that these adaptations may be subtle ways to force change among us as consumers. For example, when the iPhone 6 made it's first debut an enormous amount of Apple consumers were concerned about it's new large size, saying things like, "I don't understand why they made it so big!" I even remember numerous friends claiming they were going to refuse to upgrade their phones until Apple released a smaller version. Yet, here we are about two years later and consumers are in love with their iPhone 6's!

So what I want to ask you now is: Do you remember when you accepted the iPhone 6? Was it before you bought one? Was it when your last phone broke and you "had" to get one? 
If you thought of a justified answer, props to you, because I personally can't pin point when I decided that I wanted it.

On a final note I would like to just point out that it's these types of questions that can really open your eyes to how effective marketing can persuade consumers to change their mindset about a product without even knowing they are doing so.

Just some food for thought..






No comments:

Post a Comment